Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?
Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. A video about this change is available on YouTube.
Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does NOT ALLOW a windshield or front side windows that are dark.
- The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
- Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
- This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
- The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
- Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
- station wagon
A vehicle falls into one of these categories if it is labeled “Passenger Car” on the Federal ID label found on the left front door panel.
It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.
Effective December 20, 2017, NYS Health department regulations have been updated to specify additional medical conditions that may qualify for an exemption from the limits on light transmittance. If you have one of the medical conditions below that require you to have tinted vehicle windows, you may request an exemption from the law using the Application for Tinted Window Exemption (MV-80W).
- chronic actinic dermatitis/actinic reticuloid
- lupus erythematosus
- xeroderma (pigmentosa) pigmentosum
- severe drug photosensitivity, provided that the course of treatment causing the photosensitivity is expected to be of prolonged duration
- photophobia associated with an ophthalmic or neurological disorder
- any other condition or disorder causing severe photosensitivity in which the individual is required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun.
Visit official website where this was copied from dmv.ny.gov.
Note: We do carry 70% Window Film. In Regular and Ceramic. However this tint is extremely light and will not offer any infrared or UV benefits unless you do the higher end – Ceramic Film. Click here to read about Ceramic Film.